Sunday, 23 September 2012

Location Based Tools

Google Goggles has potential as PR tool

Google Goggles is still in in infancy stages of development.  For Public relations purposes, it's a fantastic medium for increasing awareness to a huge audience.  Practically speaking, for most industries especially ones where it's products and services are less tangible and more abstract, Goggles is not as useful.  Also, if stakeholder doesn't have a newer smartphone, the application is useless.  Goggles can already recognize color and basic garments types.
 
 
 
 
Personally, I'm stuck with a 3G Blackberry without a whole lot of memory so I can't even use the program.  Sigh.
 
  
I found this video is a great 101 for learning about what Google Goggles can (and can't) do. 
 
 
 
As you can see from the video, Goggles can easily gather information on well known landmarks wine and artwork.  Personally, it's a bit of a first world application.  Wine...  pfft.  But for networking, which is a big part of PR, the easy text regogntion makes it great for business card image recognition.
 
According to the NY Times,  Google mobile searches are up by 500% in the last two years. There have been 250,00 downloads for Google Goggles.  Is that a lot of downloads.  That doesn't seem too popular yet? 
 
 
Buick used this scannable poster to direct customers to a few different links.  Buick wants potential customers to view the car as a new progressive commodity rather than an old man's wagon.  Once this image is scanned, it is linked to a video about one of it's newest models as well as dealership location information.  Scanning instructions are at the bottom left hand side of the image.
 
 
 
What I learnt about location based social media platforms
 
All of these platforms may be time consuming to create and monitor, however they are inexpensive, especially when compared to traditional advertising.  I was not aware that anyone can create a QR code for free!  Here's how:
 
Examples of how these tools can be used for public relations

  • Scavenger hunts using QR codes with discounts/freebies as incentives

  • Mayor appreciation- giving recognition to regular users or people that promote and recommend your product/service.

  • Networking opportunities- Using Google Goggles for business card scanning at events to grow your contact list.
 

2 comments:

  1. I tried scanning my VAIO laptop with Google Goggles and it gave me suggestions for an umbrella, a book, or a car. It's definitely in its infancy stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your effort Emily. You are more hands on than I am. Then again, I have a Blackberry. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete